The Griffith Observatory Hike
Our Griffith Observatory Tour is Great for Kids!
Tour Length: 3 hours. Includes multiple walking tours and breaks.
Tour Distance: 3.5 miles round-trip (5.6 km)
Time: Daily at 10 a.m. & Sunset tour.
Meeting Place: Greek Theatre box office, Griffith Park
Fitness Level: Easy to Moderate. Great for families. (Children should be able to hike. We recommend this tour for ages 6 and up. We do not recommend that families take strollers on this tour.)
- Hollywood Sign
- Griffith Park Observatory Insiders Tour
- Greek Theatre
- Mount Hollywood
- Views of Downtown LA
- Famous Film Locations
- Views of Forest Lawn Mausoleum
- LA River
- Century City
- Silver Lake
- Los Feliz
- Chance to catch a glimpse of LA celebrities hiking with their dogs
- Hollywood History
- …and so much more!
What We’ll Do
Our Hollywood hike tours are available for the public twice a day, 365 days a year, with your choice of a 10:00 a.m hike, or a late afternoon sunset hike.
On this tour, you’ll reach the top of one of the highest peaks in Griffith Park, giving you a stunning view of the Los Angeles skyline that you’ll never forget. Your expert tour guide will lead you on a 3.5 mile (5.6 km) Hollywood Sign hike to the top of one of the highest peaks in the park, all the while telling you captivating tales of Hollywood History, fascinating film trivia, and sharing loads of recommendations for the best places to go in LA. (Most of our LA hiking tour guides also double as actors and comedians, so keep your eyes peeled for your tour guide on the big screen one of these days!)
Once you’ve snagged some beautiful panoramic views from the summit, you’ll walk over to an overlook where you’ll get the picture-perfect shot of the Hollywood Sign, bound to fill your Instagram followers with envy. (Our guides rock at taking photos, too, so you’re in great hands.) Finally, you’ll head over to the Griffith Observatory and wrap up your tour with a grand finale of (literal) stars, unforgettable views, and memories to last a lifetime.
Our Griffith Park Experience is an incredible hike tour for kids of all ages! This family-friendly LA hike through the Hollywood Hills is an activity that your children will love. Kids ages 7-97 will enjoy exploring the famous Griffith Park, hiking to the top of Mount Hollywood, snagging incredible views of the Hollywood Sign, and exploring the famous Griffith Observatory on our insider Griffith Observatory tour. This LA hike tour is available in the morning, and also as a sunset hike, boasting the best views in Los Angeles! Take your family on our top kid-friendly activity on your next trip to Los Angeles!
The Grand Finale: The Griffith Observatory!
Pickup at the Observatory
*Note: The Griffith Observatory is closed on Mondays.
What is Provided:
- Expert tour guide
- Unlimited Instagram photo opportunities
- Exclusive access to the Griffith Observatory
What to Expect:
- We’ll be walking 3.5 miles (5.6 km) along what is widely considered to be an easy to moderate hiking trail.
- Guests joining this tour should be in good health, with a beginner to intermediate fitness expectation.
- Guests should be able to walk 3.5 miles to take this tour.
- Guests should not have a fear of heights, and should not be afraid to break a sweat.
- Young children are welcome to join this hike tour; we recommend this tour for guests ages 6 and up. Children participating in the hiking tour should be able to hike on their own. NO STROLLERS!
- Guests must provide their own water for this tour. We recommend that guests bring 2 bottles of water, and to hydrate before, during, and after the Hollywood Sign Hike, especially important in the warm summer months!
What to Bring:
- All guests must bring water (2 bottles for LA in a Day)
- Closed-toe shoes (sneakers with decent traction)
The Griffith Observatory Hike
This adventure is operated by Bikes and Hikes LA
Just book it! You can cancel or make changes no later than 24 hours in advance of your booking, for a full refund or reschedule your tour! If you happen to miss the 24-hour mark, you’re guaranteed credit to use at a more convenient time. You’ll also have the opportunity to transfer your tour to someone you like (or to whom you owe a favor.)